Michigan Humanities Organizations Pandemic Emergency Grants (H.O.P.E.)
In order to assist organizations with recovering from the COVID-19 pandemic, Michigan Humanities is providing emergency American Rescue Plan funding to museums, libraries, archives, historic sites, and other humanities-focused nonprofits impacted by the pandemic throughout Michigan. Michigan H.O.P.E. Grants are available to provide general operating support, programming support, or a combination of both.
MI H.O.P.E Grant Workshop
About the Event
Join Michigan Humanities staff members as they walk you through the application process for the next round of American Rescue Plan funding made available through the National Endowment for the Humanities and Michigan Humanities
Recording available HERE
- The applicant organization must be a humanities-focused, Michigan-based nonprofit. The organization need not be incorporated and may be a public agency. Individuals are not eligible
- Applicant organizations must have a DUNS number
By law and on principle, Michigan Humanities prohibits discrimination in its funded projects whether on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, or physical challenges.
- Grant Request Amount
- Up to $15,000 for organizations with an annual operating budget of $2.5 million or less.
- Up to $20,000 for organizations with an annual operating budget between $2.5 million and $10 million.
- Organizations with an operating budget over $10 million are encouraged to apply directly to the National Endowment for the Humanities for funding.
- No matching funds are required for Michigan H.O.P.E. grants.
- Actual amount awarded might be less than amount requested and will be determined by the MI H.O.P.E. grant review committee.
Grant funds may only be used September 1, 2021 through September 1, 2022.
The last day to submit an application is Monday, August 2, 2021.
MI H.O.P.E. grant funds MAY be used for:
General Operating and/or Programming Support Including:
- Fringe Benefits
- Rent/Mortgage Payments
- Project Supplies
- Project Evaluation
MI H.O.P.E. grant funds MAY NOT be used for:
- Promotion of a particular political, religious, or ideological point of view
- Advocacy of a particular program of social or political action
- Support of specific public policies or legislation
- Purchase of land or facilities, construction or renovation
- Overlapping project costs with any other pending or approved application(s) for federal funding
- Projects that fall outside of the humanities (including the creation or performance of art; creative writing, autobiographies, memoirs, and creative nonfiction; and empirically based social science research or policy studies)
Michigan H.O.P.E. Grants Timeline
- Application period is Tuesday, June 15, 2021 through Monday, August 2, 2021
- Submission Deadline: Monday, August 2, 2021
- Applications will be reviewed the week of August 23-27, 2021.
- Organizations will receive an award notification by September 1, 2021.
- Awards will be made once an electronically signed grant agreement is returned to Michigan Humanities
For questions about MI H.O.P.E. Grants, please contact James Nelson, Director of Grants, at email@example.com