The Michigan Humanities Council (MHC) is pleased to announce grant awards for the Prime Time Family Reading Time program to 8 Michigan libraries for the Fall of 2016. MHC grants totaling $38,000 are given to support this program.
“The Council is pleased to present this family reading program in Michigan,” said Shelly Kasprzycki, Executive Director of the Michigan Humanities Council. “These programs support the important role that our libraries play in each community to encourage reading and time together as a family.”
Each library is awarded funds to purchase books for the program, which is scheduled for one 90-minute session per week for 6 weeks. Up to 25 parents/caregivers and their 3 to 10 year old children are invited to attend. As part of the program, the children are given the books to keep after each week’s program. All Prime Time Family Reading Time programs are free to participants and include complimentary nutritious meals, transportation to the library if needed and door prizes. The 8 libraries will seek support from local restaurants for the donation of the weekly meals. Kasprzycki said, “Local community support for each location is critical for this program to succeed.”
MHC supports this program through funding from The National Endowment for the Humanities. Expansion of the Prime Time Family Reading Time program throughout the state could be made possible with support from corporate funding. If you are interested in being a part of this important program, please contact Kasprzycki.
Five of the fall sites for Prime Time are returning locations who have successfully run the program in previous years, as indicated by the (#) below. And we are pleased to add three new locations this fall.
Prime Time details can be found on the MHC website at www.michiganhumanities.org
Prime Time Fall 2016 Sites:
- Peter White Public Library (7th), Marquette, Michigan 49855
- Cromaine District Library (4th), Hartland, Michigan 48353
- Chippewa River District Library (4th), Mt. Pleasant, Michigan 48858
- Monroe County Library System-Luna Pier Branch (2nd), Luna Pier, Michigan 48157
- Ypsilanti District Library-Michigan Avenue Branch (2nd) 229 W. Michigan Avenue, Ypsilanti, 48197
- Dorr Township Library, Dorr, Michigan 49323
- Houghton Lake Public Library, Houghton Lake, Michigan 48629
- Warren Civic Center Library, Warren, Michigan 48093