Current and Past Champions
Madison Ganzak, a senior at Roosevelt High School in Wyandotte, is the 2021 Michigan Poetry Out Loud State Champion. Madison’s Poetry Out Loud teachers at Roosevelt High School are Rob Keast and Warren Baker.
The first runner-up is Elaiyna Schwartzkopf, from Calvary Baptist Academy in Midland. The second runner-up is Tyler Zolynsky, from Riverview Community High School in Riverview. The third runner-up is Catelyn Danckaert, from Black River Public School in Holland.
In May, 2021, Ganzak will represent Michigan at the virtual National Finals for Poetry Out Loud.
Read the full press release from the 2021 Poetry Out Loud State Finals here.
Michigan Poetry Out Loud Champions
- 2021: Madison Ganzak, Roosevelt High School, Wyandotte
- 2020: See below
- 2019: Tajah-Rayne Davise, Calumet High School, Calumet
- 2018: Grace Garver, Petoskey High School, Petoskey
- 2017: MaryKate Wright, Owosso High School, Owosso
- 2016: Lyndon DeFoe, University high School Academy, Southfield
- 2015: Coral Brantly, Petoskey High School
- 2014: Matthew Webb, Cass Technical High School, Detroit
- 2013: Richard Wu, Forest Hills Central High School, Grand Rapids
- 2012: Randi Laundre, Alba High School, Alba
- 2011: Harron Atkins, Cass Technical High School, Detroit
- 2010: Lauren Treiber, Forest Hills Central High School, Grand Rapids
- 2009: Daniel Bellomy, Cass Technical High School, Detroit
- 2008: Charles White, Forest Hills Central High School, Grand Rapids
- 2007: Sarah Harris, Holt High School
- 2006: Travis Walter, Holt High School
2019-20 State Finals:
The 2020 Poetry Out Loud State Finals were scheduled for March 13 and 14 at the Crowne Plaza Lansing West (925 S. Creyts Rd., Lansing 48917), but have been moved to a virtual platform in light of COVID-19 impacts in Michigan. In April, students and teachers attended online workshops with Michigan poets and teachers. Students submitted recorded recitations, took part in an essay contest, and contributed to a video compilation. Below, you can find the names of the 2019-20 contest winners.
Teachers: Tanya Sprowl & Eric Hammerstrom