THE ACTION GRANT APPLICATION IS NOW OPEN.
Use an Action Grant to share your innovative perspective of the humanities with your community. Humanities programming cultivates new ideas to inspire action and strengthen our communities and our democracy. We hope these grants will help Michigan nonprofits develop original public humanities work that creates thoughtful dialogue challenging ideals and prejudices in the world.
With an Action Grant, we hope to learn more about the following questions:
1. How does humanities programming used in your community develop critical thinking skills in order to understand the cultural and historical context of important subjects, current and past?
2. How will your humanities programming, or project, improve societal ability and practice of civil discourse for a more just and robust democracy?
3. Will this work inspire people in your community to come together in creative and freely expressed ways to deepen their understanding of themselves and their community?
Great Michigan Read Action Grants
Applications for Great Michigan Read (GMR) Action Grants are now open via the Michigan Humanities grant and program portal, located here. These Action Grants are available to 2019-20 GMR partners and will support costs related to Great Michigan Read programming. Please contact Katie Wittenauer, Director of Programs, with any questions.
Apply today for a 2019 Action Grant
Action Grants provide up to $750 to Michigan-based nonprofits to support public humanities programs. Organizations may receive one Action Grant per funding period (January-November). At least one humanities professional is required to participate in the project. Programs and presenters already supported through the Arts & Humanities Touring Program are not eligible.
Action Grants are awarded on a first-come, first-serve basis until the allocation of funds for the fiscal year is exhausted. Priority is given to first-time applicants, projects related to the Great Michigan Read, Museum on Main Street, and organizations that do not have another MH grant already in progress. Funds must be matched 1:1 with cash or in-kind services or resources
Notification and Award
Successful applicants will be notified within two weeks of receipt of the application. Following project completion, the final report form must be returned to MH within 30 days. Grantees will receive 90 percent of the grant funds upon award; the remaining 10 percent will be provided after MH receives and approves the project’s final report.
How to apply
- Before submitting an application, please email Program Officer, Jennifer Rupp, to set up a phone appointment to discuss your project and application requirements.
- Apply through the Michigan Humanities Online Grant Portal. If you are a new applicant to the Michigan Humanities in 2019 you will need to create a new registration. If you have previously applied for a different opportunity this year you can log into your portal and go to “Apply” and choose “Action Grants”.
- All organizations that awarded federal funding must have an active registration in the SAM Registration system. Not sure if your organization has an active registration, or need to sign up? Click here: https://www.sam.gov/SAM/
If you have questions or would like to discuss a potential project, please contact Jennifer Rupp at firstname.lastname@example.org or (517) 372-7770 x27.