Our Stories, Our Lives

 

The Quick Grant application is now CLOSED.

Quick Grants 2017

Quick Grants provide up to $500 to Michigan-based nonprofit organizations in support of public humanities programs. Organizations may receive one (1) Quick Grant in a calendar year. Grantees must provide cost share in the form of cash or in-kind resources in an amount equal to the grant request. 

 

Humanities Professionals/ScholarsAt least one humanities professional/scholar is required to participate in the project. Humanities scholars, professionals, or community-based experts are educated in at least one of the humanities disciplines, often possessing an advanced degree, and remain current with studies in their respective fields. They may be teachers, writers, editors, librarians, archivists, curators, or persons otherwise professionally engaged. Scholars may also be derived from diverse cultural traditions where learning occurs outside the traditional academic environment. Therefore, some may be without advanced degrees but also qualify as humanities scholars because of their methods of inquiry, research, and teaching. Humanities scholars encourage dialogue, critical thinking, and analysis. They contribute knowledge, methods, and resources that are at the core of the humanities.

Eligible expenses include:

  1. Great Michigan Read: Program expenses supporting the Great Michigan Read, such as the cost of books, printing, promotion, video/audio taping, exhibit rental, honoraria, or travel expenses for humanities professionals leading a book discussion group or speaking about a related Great Michigan Read topic; expenses that enable students or groups affiliated with a nonprofit to participate in Great Michigan Read programming will be considered on a case-by-case basis
  2. Guest Speakers: Honoraria and/or travel expenses for humanities professionals participating in film/video/exhibit projects and events, conferences and lectures; expenses such as printing, promotion, video/audio taping and exhibit rental related to the speaker’s participation in the program.
  3. Reading/Discussion Programs: Honoraria and/or travel expenses for humanities professionals leading book discussion groups at libraries or community centers; expenses such as printing, promotion, video/audio taping and exhibit rental related to the program

NOTE: Programs and presenters already supported through the Arts & Humanities Touring Program are not eligible for additional Quick Grant support.

Funding Schedule and Criteria

Quick Grants are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis until the allocation of funds for the fiscal year is exhausted. Priority is given to first-time applicants, projects related to the Great Michigan Read, and organizations that do not have another MHC grant already in progress.

Notification and Award

Successful applicants will be notified within four weeks of receipt of the application. Following project completion, the final report form must be returned to MHC within 30 days. Grantees will receive 60 percent of the grant funds upon approval; the remaining 40 percent will be provided after MHC receives the project’s final report.

Forms

Quick Grant Final Report Form

Quick Grant Publicity Requirements

Contact

If you have questions or would like to discuss a potential project, please contact Karen Rhodes at krhodes@mihumanities.org or (517) 372-7770.

 

Address

119 Pere Marquette Drive, Suite 3B,
Lansing, MI 48912
p: 517-372-7770
f: 517-372-0027